From:
Ian Farber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:38:33 -0800
Mark G Spagnolo wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am setting up my electric bear fence. =20
>
> What voltage do I need to keep bears out?

I use the D cell Gallagher B-11.  It uses 6 D cell batteries.  With good
grounding a fence will reach 10 000 volts, but performance in the 9000
volt range is more typical.  The batteries last about 5 weeks with a
slow drop in voltage and then when the voltage drops to about 5000
volts, with good grounding, the batteries don't last very much longer.

This voltage seems to work to keep the bears out. If they get in then
Gallagher does make much more powerful fencers that will keep out
elephants.

Buy the alkaline batteries in bulk and get a digital tester for
accuracy.

I wouldn't go to a car battery again because of the low cost of D cells
compared to the short time a car battery will perform.

Our area is very dry and we only need to use the bear fence in the fall
in most years (Kamloops, BC, Canada).

Ian Farber
Westsyde Apiaries