From:
Dave and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:10:03 -0500
Richard wrote:

> For the past 3 or 4 warm days my bees have been coming in with there
pollen
> sacks so full that they seem very heavy when they land.  It is a dull
gray
> colour.  I no of nothing in Ky that is blooming.

It appears that the bees are working the maple trees.  No blooms yet, but
some budding.  There are also some dandelions and crocus in bloom.

Our surviving hive, Buckfast, is full of brood, eggs, drone brood, etc.
Lots of honey.  Looks like we have to use pollen substitute, because they
aren't getting much.

Here's a question for the group.  In the second box (top box) there is
brood, eggs on the innermost 3 frames.  On one of the frames there is a
strange looking brood.  It looks larger than a drone brood size.  It is
white.  Raised like drone brood, but has a kinda little round thing on the
end.  Kinda like a ping pong ball stuck to it.  There are other drone
broods along the bottom.  This one is right in the middle of regular worker
brood.  It does not have the look of a peanut like a queen cell either.
Not as large as a queen cell either.

Any ideas?

Judy in Kentucky, USA