From:
Cliff Youse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:16:29 -0400
Reply to Mr. Ash's post containing the snip: "first off I am guessing
your belief system tells you there is a continuum here? ":

It is obvious that the deck is stacked against the truth in research. If
one is approaching tenure and discovers 5 years into their well endowed
soft money research project that their basic underlying hypothesis has
no merit what do they do? Come clean immediately before their tenure
kicks in or before the next soft money grant check clears? I think we
all know what happens in real life all too often. And that is just on
the academic side. Consider what seems to have happened in the private
sector when there was real money at stake and a new drug or pesticide
was about to go out the door.

Additional snip from Mr. Ash's previous post that I original replied to:
"'scientific truth' changes with the addition of more information or the
ability to model more complex systems". The notion that there is a
"scientific truth" that is somehow distinguishable from plain truth
seems to imply a somewhat jaded "belief system" that truth, however
classified, is not absolute. I prefer the notion (belief system?) that
the truth remains absolute but not always obvious and that our
perception of it merely changes and that our reporting of that
perception should simply be amended if "the addition of more information
or the ability to model more complex systems" change that perception. In
practical terms it seems that there is enough additional information and
modeling available to consider such an amendment to the perception of
the truth when considering the lethal and sub-lethal effects of neonics
on pollinators and perhaps amphibians as well.

Regards,
-Cliff Youse