From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 19:23:44 -0500
A "follower board" is a board that is the length and height of a
standard frame, and half as thick.  Two follower boards take the place
of one frame.  In a standard 10-frame Langstroth deep, I run 9-frames
sandwiched between two follower boards.  The first thing I take out of
a hive when doing inspections is the follower board.  That gives me a
half frame of room to move the remaining frames around.  When I finish
examining the hive the follower board  is the last thing to go back
into the hive.  It"follows" the frames (hence the name).  Brits call
them "dummy boards".  FBs provide an inside wall and dead air space
between the outside hive walls and the first and last frames.
Possibly this dead air space could be an advantage in wintering?  I
was wondering if there is any published research regarding the matter.

Cheers,
Aaron