From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:27:06 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Another point to consider the varroa mite comes from the tropics(lots of
>heat and humidity). What happens when you change their environment by
>removing some of that heat and humidity?
Like the Western Honeybee, the Eastern one ranges from north to south.
In the north in Japan and China it gets very cold in winter. So I think
the argument is based on a false premise. (That doesn't mean of course
that reducing humidity and temperature won't work!!)
Also, the story I tell people is that the Trans-Siberian Railway let
Russian beekeepers move them to the far east (Vladivostok was at the
other end of the line) and they brought varroa back with them. I have
been told, (perhaps someone could verify or contradict this) that there
was a mutation sometime in the 30's as colonies were not dying before
that time. The mite moved steadily westwards in Europe reaching the UK
in the late 80's becoming evident in the early 90's. (Sorry I don't know
the way it got to N. America.
Perhaps someone could point me to a resume of the various routes of
movement we have discovered? This would help my basic course.
> I do have the varroa(small
>amount)in my hives and don't treat at all,and my bees survive the winters
>and are very strong hives.
More and more postings seem to make this claim. I wonder about the 5
reported strains of varroa. Would it be possible to identify the strain
of your varroa and of any other where colonies survive without
treatment? What about their hygienic behaviour - can you assess it? Have
you looked at any dead mites with a magnifying glass - are any legs
bitten off? Do you have a mesh floor which keeps the mites down if they
are groomed off? Are there other factors we should be looking for and
either breeding into our bees or putting into our practices?

--
James Kilty