From:
Normand Choinière <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:49:49 -0400
At 11:09 03-09-19, you wrote:

>FGMO was tested as a spray many years ago and found to be less effective
>than other sprays

Can you refer us to a Web site on this? I really never seen serious on that.

>One problem is it keeps changing. When
>it is shown to have problems, the system is modified- as with screened
>bottom boards and now Thymol.

One can see this as instability other as an adaptive and evolutive method? ;-))

>FGMO, like many other marginal Varroa controls, does work to a certain
>effectiveness. The problem is, especially from a commercial and labor
>(read cost) point of view, it is ineffective compared to other
>approaches, even other "bio" methods.

I've read very different opinions from commercial operations. How did you
got those infos? FGMO without cords is really a very low cost method. I've
read opinions as I said that say it is efficient but nothing near a
scientific demonstration, I must admit. But there are many methods that
never had been demonstrated. What you are reporting is more like the report
on the guy who saw the guy who saw the bear!

Globally speaking you base your opinion on opinions  (more or less like
me!) but we both do not have any solid basis on either side of the question!

  Most commercial controls are in the high
>90%. FGMO is not.

Nobody can say that. There never has been testing done a long term and
controlled basis on FGMO. It could be true or false. And even if it was 80%
that could be an interesting part of a multi weapon strategy. Don't forget
that it has great advantages as it can be applied continuously. As I
previously said, this is a complex question and I think that you try to
make it black or white and more simple... that it is. We should be more
open minded as solutions to a complex problem are most of the time not so
simple.

>   Apistan and Cumophose are
>condemned because of their ineffectiveness with resistant Varroa,
>because their ability to control varroa drops down into the range of
>many bio controls that have to be continually applied.

That question of resistance is one aspect of it. There are more fundamental
reasons. The main reason is probably that many people in society want bio
products. They no longer want to eat non natural chemicals... Personally I
think that this is going to be prevailing in our society and especially as
honey is concerned. Even if not certified there are many people involved in
agriculture that have already eliminated or greatly reduced their usage of
non natural chemicals. People's opinions are evolving...

Normand Choinière