From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:08:58 -0400
>So if Hymenoptera comprise the bulk of the birds' diet (according to the almost 100 yr old study which I doubt considered Purple Martins close to a bee yard)

Yes, I also doubt the research considered Purple
Martin feeding habits close to a bee yard.  But it
did show that they are known to feed on bees.

I did a few searches on purple martin feeding
times, -assuming here that the birds may do the
bulk of their insect foraging during the time insects
may be most active, -morning and evening hours,
which might tend to lower the risk for queens flying
during mid day.  -But nothing found.

What really made me respond was the 'almost
100 yr. old study' comment.

Most beekeeping techniques in use today are based
on practices developed at least 100 years ago.
Many of the United States Department of Agriculture
Bulletins on beekeeping which were written nearly
100 years ago, are still valuable resources, and
portions of these bulletin are in reprint today.

IMO, the age of a study should never be a consideration
in determining its worthiness, -only the content should.

Speaking of the times 100 years ago, could anyone here
imagine the uproar from animal rights groups if one
were to kill and dissect 205 purple martins today?

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle