Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:55:29 -0500
My objection to the Imidacloprid micro studies is the inference that from
sick bees comes mass bee die-offs, which seems to be the bottom line with
those in opposition to its use. As noted by several here, that does not seem
to be the case in the field. It may be in the lab.

The problem with micro results is they do not always transfer to the macro
world. There are so many influences on colony immune strength that one
additional factor might not even register, especially when there are so many
deadlier influences on the colony, such as Varroa, pathogens and even what
food is available. They are measurable on the macro scale and you do not
need to look for the pea under the mattress when the mattress is stuffed
with rocks.

I would love to see the kind of study that crys out from those who have
conducted the micro studies, but I doubt if we will see them because they
have been done and they do not confirm the transfer from lab to the field.
Plus they need to show that the effect is the same as CCD or at least
results in massive bee die-offs.

I admit I am a bit tired of the continued finger pointing especially with
the knowledge that the start of the pointing came with a beekeeper who was
told his bees were going to die from Varroa unless he did something. They
did die. But Imidaclorprid was blamed and it all started from there and has
not lessened, even with study after study that showed the contrary.

Recently I checked my local Walmart, Lowes and nursery stores, and
Imidacloprid is in all sorts of over-the-counter pesticides, hence we should
be seeing massive bee die-offs all across the country, since it is all over
the country. Locally, all I see is bees crashing from Varroa and poor
beekeeping.

Imidacloprid, too often, makes for a good excuse for bad beekeeping.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine