Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:21:38 -0500
> Witness Ardrian Wenner's experiment on the island, those bees are gone.
> The fact that Marina Meixner is discussing preservation shows that survival
> of some strains and/or species is not assured, millions of years
> notwithstanding.

No species is guaranteed survival and nature is not static. We tend to speed
things up by our introduction of new pests to susceptible populations. But
"nature"makes us look like pikers with mass destruction of species through
volcanos, meteors and pestilence.

We also are the only ones around to preserve as best as possible what we
have been given. Which gets us to the topic of just what is it we are trying
to preserve- what kind of bee is it we want? A topic discussed often.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine