Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:53:01 -0600
>> If the bees can fly, they leave before the tell tale traces appear, but
>> we have had staining which was tested and was N.C..

>> Maybe, but how was cause and effect proven?

> If you look at the literature, it seems that the issue is not that NC is
> not associated with dysentery, but that dysentery has not been observed.
> So now it has been observed... As far as cause and effect, if it is the
> only factor for problems in the colony, it would be an observable effect
> which was the case.

Proving cause requires more than observing an association, since association
can be causal, opportunistic, or simply coincidental.

An association, only, seems to be what you report, so I still do not see
that proof.   This is not to say the observation or interpretation  is
wrong, but merely that it remains unproven.  Lots of things are obviously
true, but remain unproven.

Was this a casual field observation of one colony and subsequent
identification of NC present, and careful elimination of all other possible
primary causes?

Real proof would seem to require many more observations and preferably a
controlled experiment where healthy hives were inoculated and observed and
controls were also kept -- especially since credible researchers who
presumably have done inoculations have reported the opposite.