From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:35:52 -0600
I love to know comments and reactions on this thread.

> Ahmed Dirie
I personally don't like the honor system that most organic honey
producers want to use. Can they really tell us without testing that
there is no chemicals in their honey? In our area water tests for each
chemical costs about $28 U.S. per chemical tested. How many chemicals do
you feel you want to test for in todays environment OR can you afford to
test for and be profitable? I grow organic fruits and vegtables on my
farm and have for years. I don't have a problem with small beekeepers
selling what they call organic honey by word of mouth BUT if a large
packer puts the organic label on his product without chemical testing i
am going to yell FOUL! I sell honey on shelves next to these large
packers and the only thing i have going is i am local and  selling local
honey from the area.  I am the little guy Wal Mart is trying to crush !
The low prices of Wal Mart honey has cut deep into the small beekeepers
profit margin. I read last week Wal Mart sales in U.S. were 5% of all
sales and growing. Since Wal Mart has went to grocery sales the large
grocery chains are staggering!
Bob