From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 06:10:27 -0800
>What you are describing is a study, not a testing protocol for determining
VSH.

Tyson, your original question was, "is there a path to demonstrating and
determining known anti-varroa traits that is reproducible for other
beekeepers in developing a standard? What would be the parameters for
determining this trait?"

You didn't limit our answers to tests solely for VSH.  Although the test is
tedious, the one that I described remains the best for testing for overall
varroa resistance.

> Nor is it reproducible for multiple breeders.

It is specifically designed to put multiple breeders to the test.

>There has to be a simpler or more accessible method for determining VSH
traits in the field without the auspices of a scientific study, one that
can be utilized by average breeders.

Tyson, selective breeding is a scientific process, whether you like it or
not.

>Some parameters that might be useful would be determining allogrooming
behavior with sticky boards, pin prick method for removal of dead brood,
visual removal of infested brood, and alcohol wash mite counts that
demonstrate reduced mite loads.

If you wish to select for specific traits, such as the percentage of mites
showing damage from biting by the bees, then yes, there are certainly tests
for those behaviors.  But any such tests would be selecting only for that
specific trait, not necessarily for overall resistance to mites.  The
alcohol wash is arguably the best for testing for the end result--low mite
levels, by whatever means.

>Controls need not be necessary if it isn't a study.

Without controls, there can be no *selection*, since there would be nothing
to compare to.

> >If a simplified testing method can't be achieved that is reproducible for
> all, then there is no standard for VSH and the idea of a standard is
> useless. There is a trait for VSH and hygienic behavior but burying it
> under an avalanche of scientific protocols effectively neuters the
> possibility that it can be determined.

Sorry if this seems like an avalanche of scientific protocols to you,
Tyson.  Drs. Harris and Danka have published plenty of information on how
they go about testing for both VSH and SMR, Dr. Spivak and BIP for Dr
Bromenshenk's method of using liquid nitrogen for freeze-killed hygienic
behavior, Dr Hunt for testing for grooming behavior.

Tyson, a lot of very smart people have been attempting to selective breed
for bees resistant to varroa for many years.  Only a few have found much
success (some of those using Kefuss's dead simple "Bond method."

I applaud your efforts to initiate some sort of selective breeding
program.  May I suggest that you first take some time to learn what others
have done before you?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA