From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:50:28 -0700
Interesting comments.  I'm under the impression/opinion that once queen cells are capped, the old queen takes off.  Any removal of capped queen cells only reduces the number of "after" swarms, and since you have no queen, you better leave one good cell or the hive will be queenless with no options (other than ordering a mail-order queen).

Still, some beekeepers tell me they've gone back every ten days to cut out cells on multiple occasions as the colony is bent on swarming no matter how many times they cut out cells.  In such a case, the old queen must still be around and laying fresh eggs to supply age-appropriate larvae.

I have never personally seen any of my colonies construct additional swarm cells after I came in and cut out all but one cell.  But let's be honest, I'm a day late and a dollar short and the crowding/congestion has been alleviated.  I've even returned 10 days later and did not find any other queen cells to cut out--no surprise here.

At this stage of the game, I've given away my honey crop with the swarm and the best I can do is shift the plans for this hive into the next season.  In a few cases, in lieu of cutting out the cells, I've split up the hive into nucs with each nuc receiving a queen cell.  Either way, I'm done for this year.

The whole process of swarm "control" needs to be preceded by swarm "prevention."  I think I would rather invest my energy in preventing the swarming impulse, or more correctly, redirecting their energies toward nectar foraging with an expanding brood nest.  In my area, if I can forestall the swarming impulse until our major nectar flow commences, I'm good to go.

Grant
Jackson, MO