Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:25:52 -0500
No warming in 17 to 19 years. But that tracks with the cyclic nature of
climate.

The IPCC models have been consistently wrong. We have had fewer tornadoes
and hurricanes strike the US this year. We set a record for lowest number
of days between 4+ inch snowfalls between the spring and fall this year
(Late spring and early fall snowfalls). Temperatures have not even come
close to IPCC predictions.

The problem with climate it it is hard to predict what is going to happen
this winter, much less in fifteen years.

If you look at the "historical" record, we have been on a downward slope in
temperatures since the end of the last ice age and it has been warmer than
today as recently as the medieval warm period.

"Global Warming" has happened because we have been coming out of the
"Little Ice Age" which hit bottom in 1850, which is why that date shows up
so often. Add that we have had an active sun for the past decade or more
which adds to the warming.

As far as unprecedented, Sandy, which is a poster child, was less powerful
than many typhoons and hurricanes I have been through, plus it was not a
hurricane when it hit but extra tropical. If either of the two biggest ones
I have been through (1938 in Newport, RI and 1950, King in Miami - 150 kt
winds) hit in the same place as Sandy or even Miami today, it would make
Sandy just what it was, the first storm to hit in a place where people
never expect one to hit so built accordingly, but the devastation would be
many multiples of what Sandy inflicted. If Sandy hit Florida it would not
even be remembered.I had bigger storms in Miami and Key West regularly.

I worry more about cold than warmth, since the historical record also has
us at the end of the interglacial period. They last about 10,000 years. At
the end of each, there is a rapid increase in temperature followed by an
increase in CO2, then temperature plummet and CO2 follows.

We are also due for either a Dalton or Maunder minimum, both of which
happen during a quiet sun time, which we are now in. Climate is cyclic and
we are more in line for cold than warm. Personally, I hope I am wrong
because more people die from cold than warmth. Look at what happened after
the Medieval Warm Period. The Dark Ages.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

is a great resource and science based. It has been right about the climate
and weather while the IPCC has not. It is the number one website in the
world on the subject of climate.

Global Warming is more about science by press release than good science.
That is changing.

As far as the normal state of the Arctic being ice free, the average
conditions in Maine over the last million years has the State under 1
kilometer of ice. Ice ages last 100,000 years and interglacial warm periods
10,000.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine