From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:03:53 -0500
Greetings,
         There is a big problem with some of the treatments mentioned on
this list: they're illegal. Granted, you may think that they're your bees
and you can do what you want with them, but if you inadvertently
contaminate the honey, you will be liable for the harm you cause, not to
mention you may have to dump your crop. I suggest you use only approved
formulas in the approved manner. Some chemicals may remain in the hive for
decades. In talking with various beekeepers, I have found that many of them
disregard the labeling or try concoctions of their own.
         Very often whole apiaries seem to have low mite counts due to
environmental or other factors. When one conducts an "experiment" one has
to make sure that "results" are related to the treatment. There must be no
mixing of treatments unless it is a mixture of treatments that is being
tried. There must be non-treatment (control) hives. There has to be a large
enough number of trials to minimize variation due to non-treatment factors.
When someone says "I tried such and such and it seemed to work" this means
less than nothing. When someone says "I did this to all my hives and they
were better than last year" - same thing.
         Researchers get a lot of criticism for being skeptical of
home-cures. There are accepted procedures for "proving" techniques and if
these aren't followed the "results" have no validity. If the results can't
be reproduced, what good are they? Beekeepers were using antibiotics on AFB
colonies long before the inspectors gave the nod to this method.  The
inspectors wanted to wipe out AFB, not just cover it up. Now most
beekeepers use antibiotics routinely, with no hope of ever eradicating AFB.
Most of the inspectors are gone.

PB