From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2017 18:11:36 -0500
I forgot to add  a part I meant to include,

 This years plan is quite different,  as Don and I disagree on what happened,  Don is under the impression we didn't feed enough.  He added about 800 lbs of 42% protein,  and feels it was nothing more than a snack when the math is worked out.  At 600 hives that was just at 1/2lb of protein per hive,  fed in Nov. enough to feed roughly 4500 new bees?

Knowing  bees need about 100mg of protein for full development  hes feeding protein in copious amounts,  with the intent to move them to MS and feed protein patties every 2 weeks (beetle problems so small paties)  his goal is somewhere around 8lbs per hive in 90 days with natural pollen starting in mid Jan,  then shipping to CA last week of Jan.  Around 500 hives in this group

I think we feed to long,  so I am stopping protein on most my hives, with the goal of getting healthier winter bees to carry me into the supplemental feed in mid/ late Jan.   Roughly 500 in this group also.
Big variant to be I am not headed to MS. so we shall see how degree days/ flying weather falls out.

Don will winter none her in IL,  I keep about 2-300 here( ones that I suspect wont make grade)

The other variation is Dons bees are pollinators,  and mine were honey hives,  so there is some genetic differences in play also  but I think thats kind of a moot point in this case.  Hes running a lot of Pol line queens.   I am not.  mostly itialians with a hint of carnis thrown in.

Charles