From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 07:48:03 +0700
> The principle is called hyperthermi and two German devices for
> treating frames of capped brood exist. These devices are called
> "Borgstaedter Thermo Box" and "Apitherm" respectively. Varroa mites
> are less tolerant to heat than the bees.

<etc.>

We have been getting some very interesting posts lately.

This reminds me of a matter I brought up here a year or so ago and at
some meetings - a question to which I have never received a good
answer: a question about brood temperature in hives.

I have wondered how variable the temperature in the centre of brood
nests is between various hives and different strains of bees , and if
it is related to the length of incubation of brood.

What caused me to wonder was an experiment I did with a carefully
calibrated high/low reading thermometer that showed the one hive I
measured to maintain  brood between 94.6 to 96.3 degrees F (average
95.5) through quite varying ambient temperatures.

It seems to me that the literature I have read mentions 92 degrees F
or so.

Anyhow, I wonder if there have been experiments to examine this
variability and relate it to the length of incubation (important in
varroa resistance) or other characteristics.

I don't imagine that a difference in brood temp of several degrees
would affect varroa development negatively?

Or would it?
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>