From:
KIRK VISSCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1991 09:32:00 PST
There seems to be some confusion over
Francis Scout-Bee's timeless classic.
As I listened at my hive late last night I overheard the
original version, which follows:

Oh, scout, can you find
at the dawns early flight
what so proudly we hauled
at the twilights last gleaming
Whose UV nectar guides,
and bee purple besides
Ommatidia teased,
and compelled us to dancing.
And the nectar so rare,
with a perfume so fair,
we distilled in the night.
Are those flowers still there?
O say with gravity-angled manner to me
The sun bearing to fly
from the hive of the bee.

However, it seems that my colony had one patriline descended from a Santa Barbar
a drone.
The bees of this patriline insisted the others had it wrong, and the last lines
were

Oh send by that flight-aiming odor-field breeze
Oer the foraging range,
and the hive of the bees

-Kirk