Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:19:38 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2010 11:08:38 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

"altruistic suicide,"

Not to take anything from Dennis, but its been long known that many
pathogens can affect the behavior of the host.

However, we've at least three explanations here:

1) Dispersal - since the pathogen(s) have stormed the fortress (gotten
inside the colony), the next problem is getting out and in to other  colonies
before their hosts and they (the pathogen(s)) perish,

2) Altruisitic suicide - high rates of queen supercedure, with two queens
sometimes seen in collapsed colony remnants, suggests bees know something is
 wrong, and are trying to correct the condition,

3) Death in the field - as the colonies collapse, there are fewer and
fewer bees to get the job done, bring in resources.  My collapsing  observation
hive mobilized every available remaining bee as foragers - I saw  some of
the youngest bees (light color, fuzzy) making forays that I've ever  seen.
But each day, fewer and fewer came back.  Sick bees, as last  gasp, trying to
forage, die away from the hive, unable to return.

I had a bee counter on this hive - got a sudden drop over just a few days,
then the rest dwindled out, unable to bring in sufficient resources to
maintain  the excess of brood caused by the loss of adult bees.

Jerry