From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:40:34 -0700
It's that time of year again.

As you may recall from previous discussions here, we do mite tests for
other beekeepers on a small scale, here in Alberta.

We get 300 a 300 bee sample in alcohol and do a varroa wash, check 20
for tracheal, and do a nosema test, all for $10+tax.  Of course, it is a
quick and dirty test and we don't guarantee its accuracy, but it is an
easy and affordable 'litmus test'.  It won't give you exact numbers, but
it will spot an obvious wreck about to happen.  We'll do larger and more
thorough samples, too, but this one is popular and, as you can see here,
it can show when something needs doing, and soon.  Combined with natural
mite drops (another simple, easy test), it is a good start on IPM.

I recently received the first batch of samples from an Alberta beekeeper
who winters in British Columbia and was surprised to find that he had
higher tracheal mite loads than I would have expected.  He also had one
varroa show up in the wash although he treated with blue shop towels
last spring and fall, and with Checkmite+ in the fall.

He consented to my mentioning this so that others will be sure to be
aware that just treating and trusting no longer works.  Monitoring is
the cornerstone of IPM and although I am sure he is not happy to have
mites, he is very happy to know in time to do something about them.

One thing I should also point out is that the bulk of his queens come
annually from a producer who told me in the past (and I passed it on)
that he was selecting his queens towards tracheal resistance.  I don't
know what happened here, but to me the message is very clear.

Test your bees no matter what you used for treatment, or where you
bought your queens.

More info. and these lab results will be posted on my website, as time
permits.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/