Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:01:06 GMT+0200
Hi all

bets are on both.

Both will not infect a hive unless something is badly wrong with it.
If this factor causes the bees to abscond, there will be little brood
and pollen left and the wax moth will win.

If the hive is killed by pesticides, or has it's population
dramatically reduced so it cannot defend itself against beetles, the
beetles will hamer the hive before the moths even find it. The
beetles have the upper hand in that they are always on the inside
waiting for a chance, the moths never are on the inside unless
something is baddle wrong.

As an aside: try throwing a moth (dead one from under a light) at the
entrance and watch how long it takes for the bees to rip it to
pieces. Throw a beetle at the entrance and you will see they cannot
do anything. (one does not have to use a hive beetles, use a
strawberry beetle - about the same size) I can assure you that with
our bees they will have shredded the moth in about half a minute.
With the beetles they will spend maybe three or four standing around
it, and then eventually nudge it away. If it is a hive beetle it can
outrun a bee.

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)