From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:50:21 -0600
>Now I am confused.  I thought the whole purpose of GMO modification was to
make these substances significantly different.

In the case of a food engineered to produce a different fruit (Golden Rice,
for example), then of course it will be labeled as such, voluntarily, by the
producer. However, in the case where a plant is engineered with Bt to defend
itself against pests, but its fruit is no different than that grown by an
organic farmer (who ironically may spray his plant with Bt), the GMO
producer is understandably loath to affix what looks like a warning label on
his product.

>Eugene Makovec wrote:>I would ask, who are the autocrats empowered to force
arbitrary labeling changes on food producers?<

>Governments, formed of elected representatives of all the people.<

You will recall that the previous post called those same governments
autocrats for NOT forcing mandates on the citizens who elected them. Now,
who is more autocratic, a government that forces you to do something, or one
that leaves you alone?

Eugene Makovec