Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 09:47:15 AST
     First of all I must apologize for failing to identify myself in my
     comment/question on density of beekeepers in U.S.  I admit it was me.
     Since I have not seen any comments from other Alaskan beekeepers some
     of you might have guessed.  I am working on getting some others in the
     Cook Inlet Beekeepers Association signed up.  This is a great source
     of information.  Much I cannot use, but what I can is worth it.

     This particular communication is in reference to Michael Hardy's
     article on "Where have all the bees gone?"  It seems an overly
     pesimistic outlook.

     The mite problem is an example of something we have seen many times
     throughout recorded history.  A disease which is new to a particular
     population is introduced with calamitous results.  The natives of the
     Americas were decimated by diseases which were mostly a nuisance to
     the people who introduced them (speaking in broad terms).  Whole
     population groups were destroyed.  But not all native Americans were
     killed.  Today they thrive at the same level as the descendants of the
     European immigrants.

     I am confidant that the same will happen with the mite devestations.

     Oh, the colonies kept alive by treatment of one sort or another will
     still be subject.  The fact that most new feral colonies come from
     swarms, most of which emerge from managed colonies, will slow down the
     come-back, but I am confident that a come-back will occur before long.

     By the way.  Is there any real evidence that there is a "native" bee
     population?  I've heard some murmurings to that effect, but little
     follow up.

     Tom Elliott
     Eagle River, Alaska  99577