From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:29:13 -0600
> For those using patties:  How do you know they are being eaten and not
> just chewed up and chucked out of the hive?

That is always a good question and, of course on that concerns us, so we
observe what the bees are doing -- whether they are ingesting it or chewing
it off and dropping it.

We look for granules on the floor.  I don't know about you, but some of us
examine the stuff on the floor periodically with a microscope or magnifying
glass.  It is quite interesting, and yes, we do see the odd grain of patty,
along with granules of honey, paper, frass, brood fragments sometimes, wax
scales, varroa in all stages, etc. etc. etc, but they are insignificant
usually.

Can't say as I have *ever* seen properly made yeast/soy/sugar patties torn
up and dropped down by the bees and thrown out the door.  The wax paper,
though, definitely yes.

Be assured that anyone who spends tens of thousands of dollars a year on
patties will be watching for results and for any sign of wastage.

Some feeds do get hard and get thrown out.  BeePro, when made into patties
has a reputation for caking and becoming hard enough that the bees refuse
it.  Nonetheless, there was a large beekeeper in Southern Alberta who has
always used BeePro as the main ingredient in his patties until this year
when he finally changed to yeast and soy.  Some say the size of particle is
important, but the yeasts and soy used by beekeepers seems to be just fine
for patty use.  (They would not work in a liquid diet, though).

For that matter, this is one benefit of the wax paper design over just
globbing the stuff on.  Patties have a definite form and can be moved
around.  They stay moist and edible, too.