From:
Kathy E Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:15:16 EST
In a message dated 1/17/2004 2:17:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I think that Marla Spivak is correct when she said it was time for us to
stop using mitecides and to start breeding a resistant honey bee. If we
continue to always buy replacement queens we can not break a cycle of losing
colonies to mites without chemicals. What cycle are you speaking of Bill?
Last year's winter (02), I started with 6 hives. I came through with 2 hives
of laying workers and one queenless hive, which I gave a frame of eggs from my
best hive and it turned around. The hive I used the eggs from had early brood
in 14 frames in an excellant laying pattern. The hive was exceedingly gentle.
 I used brood to make splits and nucs and to requeen swarms who didn't have
eggs to make supercedure queens. I went into this winter with 18 hives (one an
OB hive fall swarm that was lemon sized and really doesn't count). I have not
used chemicals in the hives for the mites, chalkbrood, foulbrood or nosema.
This winter I lost 2 hives due to lack of stores (beekeeper fault, I should have
combined these 2 hives and given them honey from another hive). One hive at
an out apiary got drowned by a bad wind and rain storm, while I was out of
state for 3 weeks. I am now feeding all hives for spring buildup.  I took several
swarms issued from feral hives last year and will be watching those queens
carefully. I use mesh bottoms and Serge Labesque's varroa trapping tray. With it
I can tell without opening up the hive how big the cluster is, if it is in the
first or second BB, if they are eating honey stores, if there is brood/queen,
the mite count, if I have wax moths, etc. I feel that it is important to be
stewards of the bees. I bought one queen last year. She layed for 2 weeks and I
never saw her again.

Kathy Cox, Northern California, Italian, 14 hives
www.kathycox.frankcox.net