From:
Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 09:46:16 -0400
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Michael Reddell wrote:
>The really important thing is to be sure the moisture content is low enough
>so that the honey won't ferment.  In many climates where the relative
>humidity tends to be low, you can be confident that capped honey is 'dry'
>enough.  In some of the more humid places, even that isn't a sure bet.

It's been pretty humid here in New Jersey for the last month so I'll err
on the 'isn't a sure bet side.'

>shake.  If the nectar sprinkles across the surface then it's too wet to
>extract.  If it all stays in the cells when you shake it, it's ok to
>extract.

Okay, I'll give it a try.

>The other factor to consider is how much good dry honey you have to mix it
>with.  If the percentage of wet, uncapped honey is very small, it won't
>raise the overall moisture content of your crop very much.

I have 20 frames all together.  Out of those I effectively have 2.5
uncapped.  Is that too high a percentage?

        bob
--
Bob Billson, KC2WZ                                email: [log in to unmask]
first year beekeeper, 2 colonies                         [log in to unmask]

  (\       MS-DOS, you can't live with it.  You can live without it.    /)
 {|||8-                 Linux: Resistance is futile ...              -8|||}