From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:21:49 -0500
>> Should that not be 150ml per box?

Athough a method long used in the U.K. researchers now believe the method I
 use to work. The method is the current method being suggested by the
 USDA_ARS.

 The old method of 150ml. per box has been shown to be a bit of
 overkill but might work best *if* you needed to reuse the comb in a certain
 period of time.

 Their research has shown 150 ml will clear five deeps of spores. *if*
 however you are doing only one box then 150ml  would still be needed .

 It is my *opinion* that because N.ceranae *is* the nosema U.S. commercial
 beeks are dealing with *and* some have never used fumidil ( mainly because
 nosema apis was a silent killer of bees and mainly only effected older
 forager bees) they are keeping bees on heavily N. ceranae spore
contaminated
 comb.

 Because fumidil simply controls the active disease ( not the spores)  and
 the bees in
 most commercial operations are stressed from many other issues the new
 nosema is even more problematic.

 I have outlined to beeks what the solution to N. ceranae is but they simply
 look down and slowly shake their heads. We are only at the tip of the
 iceberg with N. ceranae. The differences between nosema apis and N. ceranae
 are serious. N. ceranae spores can be picked up from blooms and from water
 sources. Open feeding spreads nosema.

 In the case of fumidil the label recommendations are on the lower border of
 control.  mix a lower amount and you might only suppress the problem for a
 few weeks. In fall the fumidil goes in the last two gallons of winter feed.
 Not the first.

 First step:
 I would require all hives entering almond pollination and in California to
 be treated for nosema. Research in Spain shows that hives next to hives
with
 high levels of N.ceranae will become infected. A big undertaking but a
 validation that the hives were treated for nosema shown at the border might
 help ease the situation. Last year many hives which crashed after almonds
 crashed from high n.ceranae loads ( USDA_ARS source).

second step:
I would ask all beekeepers to add to their management plan the use of acetic
acid fumigation for deadouts to try and lower N. ceranae spore counts in
their outfits.

 bob