From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:40:57 -0500
There is a third problem with leaving frames out for cleaning.
The bees get aggressive and will look elsewhere for food. Mine
visited my neighbors and kept one indoors because they buzzed her
when she left the house. Under all other conditions they were and
are docile bees, but I stopped leaving frames out after that, and
no more problems.
Just check under the wet frames at the end of the day. You will
have many dead bees. It is the end of the season and there are no
or few nectar sources out there so there is competition. And they
go out looking for more nectar.
It was an easy way to clean the supers but not worth it when it
came to AFB control, robbing, upping the aggression of the bees
and aggravating my neighbors.
One other thing, if your neighbor get stung when you are doing
this, you could be held liable because you created the nuisance.
So now I store wet and they are ready to put on in the spring. No
mold or any problems. Store in an unheated barn.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME