From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:50:12 -0400
  REGARDING           Re:If you read my last post you know that I am
hobbiest...

Jeffrey Tooker writes:
"I want to start with a nuc (four frame from a reputable supply house) in
a brood chamber with nine or ten full sized frames.  I am starting clean
this month and do not plan to take any honey untill next year.

I would like information on when and how to start treatment for brood
diseases and mites?"

I believe the sooner the better.  Don't let mites get a head start at all.
Therefore, as soon as the nuc is hived, I would place a couple Apistan strips
at the center of the cluster area, and put a 1/2 lb patty of Terrapatty (or
make up a Crisco/sugar/terramycin batch yourself) on the top bars.  Apistan
will help control varroa and the patty will control AFB, EFB and tracheal
mites.  Leave the strips in 45 days, but leave the patty in all year (and
replace when necessary) if you don't plan to harvest honey this year.  In late
August - early September, put Apistan strips in again for 45 days, then
remove.  Then if you feed Fumadil in 1:1 syrup in early fall, your bees should
be healthy and raring to go a year from now.

Ted Fischer