From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:29:18 -0500
Actually, research on bees raised from brood, with no nurse or adult bees
(using capped brood in incubators, if I remember correctly) was used to
determine if bees learn their behavior or if it is built in. The behavior of
these versus "normally raised" bees was the same - the bees knew how do all
the tasks required at each stage of their development (not to say they
didn't get better with experience, no matter which group they were in, but
no "teacher" was required).

Similar experiments with man would probably lead to executions and jail
time.  But it is safe to say that most human "behaviors" are taught -
language, morality, ethical behavior, mathematics, etc.  But not things like
eating (although what to and not to eat is taught to most), chewing,
digesting, running our bodily functions. Or having our brains process visual
input to differentiate various things in our environment. These are the
types of hard-wired functions perfomred by humans (although by no means an
exhaustive list).

Conciousness:  The ability to debate what conciousness is.

Regards,
Karen