From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 14:50:04 +0000
Ted Wout wrote:

> Cesar Flores <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>Does anyone know how to rewax plastic duragilt panels for reuse after
> peeling
> off  the old comb?<<
>
> Since there is no imprint of honeycomb on the plastic, bees will not draw
> out "bald" Duragilt.  This has been a topic of discussion on this list in
> the past.  Many got on the anti-Duragilt bandwagon for this reason.  There
> were however some staunch supporters of Duragilt.  I believe that there may
> be some management hints that some of the pro-Duragilt folks may be able to
> give you.  Barry, are you out there?<grin>

No, I'm hiding! :>)  When I saw this one I was going to reply that Cesar might want to
give Dadant a call but then I thought again and figured someone else could better
handle this one.

> My opinion is that it's best to prevent the bald spots in the first place
> by not using Duragilt.  Use something like Permadent or Plasticell.
> There's also a new plastic foundation called RiteCell from Mann-Lake.  Has
> anyone on the list tried this yet?  If so, have you got an opinion?
>
> Ted Wout
> Red Oak, TX

Ted is right, it's best to prevent this problem in the first place but then we differ. One
could use the several different plastic foundation that is available out there such as
the ones Ted mentioned. Bald spots on Duragilt will not get recombed so you either
have to live with the bald spot if it's small in comparison to the whole comb or you work
this frame to the outside position and then either leave it there or replace. So many
options, so many opinions, not enough money or time to try them all, what's a
beekeeper to do?

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey