From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:57:56 -0000
Peter Borst quoted:

> AFB affects both larvae and pupae:

Agreed, but larvae die after, or at the point of capping.

>  Active AFB is characterized by larvae or pupae that have melted down into
> a viscous pool of light to dark brown liquid lying flat on the cell
> bottom.

I think that the point should be made that this normally happens UNDER the
capping; I would have then described them as decomposed rather than melted -
but I guess that it is a matter of semantics.  My point was that uncapped,
discoloured larvae - often described as having a 'melted appearance' (and
usually twisted out of position) are normally associated with EFB.

>> The presence of a smooth, light to chocolate brown pupa in the cell with
> its tongue adhering to the roof of the cell is not a common symptom, but
> is
> considered to be diagnostic for AFB.

... and would not be seen unless the bees had removed the capping.

More good information here:

http://beebase.csl.gov.uk/public/BeeDiseases/foulbrood.cfm

Best wishes

Peter Edwards