From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:12:07 -0400
(mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

What  would be interesting to know is how far afield the dust drifts
relative to  other sprays.
Its mainly a matter of particle size and weight.  I've done a  lot  of
work on fall-out from emission sources.  Dispersion of  dust particles versus
an aerosols are very different.  Plus, particulates  often tend to
agglomerate or clump, making them even heavier and more likely to  drop out quickly.

As an example, when I was studying fall-out  from a smelter, the
concentration of lead particles which were associated with the dust blowing  off the
slag piles (surface source of dust near ground level) fell off  very rapidly
with distance.  Across the street, the dust on window  sills was 50% lead.
 1/8 mile away, the concentrations were  considerably lower.  By  1/4 mile,
barely detectable.

Now, arsenic has a very small particle size, acts more like a gas.
Everything from the smelter went through a baghouse, yet arsenic from the  stack
was dispersed over miles from the smelter (tall source height + small
particle size).  In our  work near Tacoma, WA - we found arsenic from  the smelter
traveling  as far as north  Whidbey  Island, and the  Canadian Air
Pollution monitors picked it up on Vancouver Island.

In one alleged case of corn drill dust kill, I sampled the dust on  front
of hives and in the beeyard which was about 1/4 mile from nearest  field.
NADA, no clothianidin.  However, as one would expect, the  soils in the newly
planted field had detectable levels.

Hot, dry conditions, with good wind blowing over beeyard, I'd expect  some
exposure to a yard adjacent to the planted field.  If its been  raining, I'd
not expect to see any.  Yards at any distance from field, it  would have to
be a really dry with a hard wind for any significant  exposure.

I've three Hi-Volume Air Samplers that could answer this question - but it
should also be relatively easy for the engineers to model.

Jerry