From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 01:31:21 -0500
> the current losses are driven mostly by poor beekeeping
> weather and that will  change

So the funding will be needed to study the weather? :)

I am confused at having a march for "more funding", yet
admitting that bad weather and lackluster varroa control
are the main problems.  Neither issue needs more R&D funding.

Regardless, beekeepers should take care on the streets, be it
Downing Street or Park Avenue.

For example, Joanne Thomas, President of the Long Island NY
Beekeepers Club, returned home last night after spending the
prior six days in an Intensive Care Unit.  She slipped, hit
her head on a curb, and suffered a nasty thing called a
"subdural hematoma". She also got lots of blood on the
sidewalk of Park Ave, which is likely an offense much worse
than failure to curb one's dog.

Lucky for her, she was in Manhattan, which has nearly as
many hospitals as Boston, and some of them almost as good
as those in Toronto.  It will be a while before she is back
to either beekeeping or personal training (her weekday business),
but she will be back.

The only reason I know any of this is that Joanne is my wife.
Not to worry, while she is stuck with me as her home nurse,
she has been issued an impressive array of sedatives to help
her cope with the less-than ideal situation of being forced
to endure me for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  She's a
very tough cookie, so she'll hit the ground running soon,
and likely be able to outrun all the rest of us when she does.

I'll not complain about the weapons-system cost overrun
level of expense associated with the last few days, as
the majority of people left Intensive Care this week
with a family member in a pine box, while I took home
a live woman.

So, send her a note if you have the time, as she will be
bored with daytime TV in precisely 1.6 milliseconds, and
needs some distraction between her physical therapy sessions.

She demands that I teach her a new "bee fact" every day
over breakfast, so highly obscure bee trivia from other
beekeepers would be especially enjoyed.

Her e-mail address is  [log in to unmask]