From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 08:31:15 -0400
> What's special about those created by man?
> The most toxic substances on earth were created by nature.

What's special is the lack of an experience curve.
Those "natural" toxic substances have been around long enough to have been
proven by millions of years and millions of encounters to not be the cause
of a ubiquitous problem.

Also, as a general rule, the more toxic something is, the more quickly it
kills those who encounter it, and thereby, the less threatening it is to
large populations, so the "less toxic" substances are the ones that actually
pose the greater risk, as they can be spread around more easily.

The stuff created by man is a lot like software.  Early revisions are never
as reliable as later ones, so wait a bit, and avoid the "1.0" of anything.

If time has taught us anything about pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides,
it has taught us that nothing is ever as safe as it is claimed to be by the
fellow selling the stuff.  This should not be surprising at all, as it is
true of nearly every product with implications for "safety".  I still
remember the notice back in 2012 that every (Omega Pacific) carabiner we
owned was subject to a recall, after buying them and using them on several
climbs specifically because of their stringent QA.  (A climbing carabiner is
something that, if it fails, may cripple or kill its owner.)