From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:02:49 -0400
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/monsanto-hopes-to-win-over-beekeepers-with-cure/article_19e82066-0e5f-5a57-bcfd-9232d81db401.html

At the close of Monsanto Co.’s “Bee Health Summit” Thursday, at least a few
beekeepers in attendance were still a little incredulous about where they’d
just spent the last three days.

“I can’t believe I’m at Monsanto,” said Gene Brandi, a beekeeper from
California, echoing a colleague’s comments from the previous night. “But
the honey bees brought me here.”

The conference, which began Tuesday, was an effort by the Creve Coeur-based
biotechnology giant to introduce itself to the beekeeping industry — a
community in which it could find customers one day, and one that has some
Monsanto skeptics in its ranks.

“The goal in my mind was pretty simple,” said Jerry Hayes, a veteran bee
expert who leads Monsanto’s bee research efforts. “To connect the
beekeeping industry more closely to Monsanto, and to connect Monsanto more
closely to the beekeeping industry. They’ve heard all the big scary stuff
about the company. We want to raise their comfort level.”