Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:47:10 -0400
 What do the neighbouring beekeepers use?  What does Tony recommend?  It is
possible that wrapping is optional or even unecessary in your area.  The
best plan is always to see what nearby long-time successful beekeepers are
doing.

Tony uses and recommends tar paper. Some wrap and some do not. I do not, but
I also paint my hives navy blue, which is very dark blue. Also he recommends
homasote/fiberboard/or newspaper over the inner cover for insulation and
moisture removal. I use a homasote board.

From what I recall, wrapping is to both insulate and keep a fairly steady
temperature in the hive so you do not have the ups and downs that can happen
with an uninsulated hive.

But why listen to us when you can call him directly and get exceptional
advice on what to do.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine