From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2017 06:05:24 -0400
a Peter Borst snip followed by> my comment
I flat disagree. Simply being non-native does not equate to invasive. One would have to show real harm. I have collected papers claiming harm done by EHBs, as well as others which make a strong case (IMHO)  that no harm has been done by them. Available by request

> Well somethings are doable and somethings are not...imho the basic decision making protocol is always useful in cases like this.  Sometimes how this goes is about economics and sometimes it is about people and culture.  I think on the same California Islands mentioned previously they also eliminated a wild goat population.  Some years ago we had a Washington DC 'parky' here who got the bright (not) idea here to do the same thing to the wild pig population down around 'the Big Thicket Preserve'.   Problem was she looked at the feral hogs as a problem but the locals looked at them as an emergency food supply.  Certainly the feral pigs had been there for quite some time (100 plus years) and in desperate time the native population of people saw them as the difference between eating or not.  There was essentially a cultural bond between people and the feral pigs.

>Given that the landscape in the Thicket is not bounded (as is the previously mentioned island) I suspect you could not eliminate the feral pig population even if you had the desire to do so.

Gene in Central Texas