From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:35:35 -0600

"We are clearly on a path that will destroy everything unless we do
something about one critical thing - the exponential growth of the human
population. I believe that virtually every problem that we face is linked to
our inability, or unwillingness, to face up to the fact that humans are the
biggest plague that has ever hit the world." - Peter Edwards, 2014 (world
population 7 billion or so)

"The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970's the world will
undergo famines--hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death
in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now." - Paul Ehrlich, 'The
Population Bomb', 1968 (world population 3.5 billion)

"What most frequently meets our view (and occasions complaint) is our
teeming population. Our numbers are burdensome to the world, which can
hardly support us . . . . In very deed, pestilence, and famine, and wars,
and earthquakes have to be regarded as a remedy for nations, as the means of
pruning the luxuriance of the human race." - Tertullian, 2nd Century
Carthage (world population 190 million)

It seems that at every point in history there have been people who've looked
around and thought, now that I'm on the planet, everyone else new needs to
be kept off. Do you think we should try a little harder at "pestilence, and
famine, and wars"? I don't think we can control the earthquakes. :)
Eugene