From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 21:25:50 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Computer Software
Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes

>It seems to me, that with the emergence of resistant mites, that DR
>Rodriguez case for using non chemical treatments has been largely vindicated
>and possibly fully proved. It also seems to me, that there are two kinds of
>beekeepers. One is the older variety in terms of years spent with bees. I am
>of the opinion that these beekeepers are not too open to new ideas. The
>other variety, like myself, is the newer beekeeper, who is more open to new
>ideas, since every idea to us is a new idea. Like all activities carried out
>in this technological age, beekeeping is better for a technological approach
>which is environmentally benign. I have plans to put Dr Rodriguez system
>into operation as soon as I can.
Dear Tom,

As with another posting on this, I regret that I cannot agree with this
assertion. To suggest that the older beekeepers active on this list are
not receptive to new ideas must be wrong. There is however a pragmatic
and realistic appraisal, sometimes brutally so, of 'new' ideas. What may
appear to be new to the newcomer is often an old idea in new clothes,
and older heads spot this right away, and quickly and sensibly discard
what is of no use to them, but home in very quickly on anything good.
There is probably very little that highly experienced people, like Andy
for example, will not have seen, or done, or heard of being done, and
thus can spot and discard a 'lemon' with an ease which can seem like
blank dismissal to the less experienced.

There is also nothing remarkable about knowing that mite resistance to
fluvalinate would emerge. The nature of all synthetic pyrethroids is
such that immune populations do not take long to build up, and thus the
clock is ticking for them from their first use. Their useful life can be
safeguarded by two principal methods. Firstly, they should only be used
as directed, because innaccurate dosing is very helpful to resistance
development. Secondly, by using alternating treatment methods, which
should nip the resistant mites with something else at the next round of
treatment. If you have more than one proven treatment available to you
you should use both the accurate dosages and the alternating treatments
in your varroa strategy.

>I have plans to put Dr Rodriguez system
>into operation as soon as I can.

Hopefully you will not have to for a good while yet, as, to the best of
my knowledge, Ireland is still varroa free. I know it is supposed to
deal with tracheal mites as well but you should check if you have a
genuine problem with them before proceeding with a treatment regime,
especially one which, although very interesting and promising, still
must be viewed as in its embryonic stages.

Aside from this issue for the moment, I read with great interest the
various postings about the Texas vs. John Caldiera case. I noted
however, that no-one seemed to be looking at the issue behind it all:
the use of MAVRIK. Whilst the tactics used by the authorities were, from
all reports, ridiculous and draconian, it is probably important to
discover why they wanted to take this action. We over here have not
heard enough about the case to reach a balanced conclusion.

There will probably be some who will jump in here and say it was just to
protect vested interests, but it could just be that they were aware of
the situation which had built up in Europe through the use of
innaccurate fluvalinate dosing using home made MAVRIK treatments. It is
strongly implicated in resistance development where undertreatment has
occurred and high residue levels in wax where overdosed. It is certainly
cheap, but you could be borrowing from your future to save a bit now, as
it will possibly shorten the useful life of fluvalinate as a varroa
control measure. It will be interesting over the coming seasons to see
where the genuinely resistant mites first appear in North America and
see if it is a high MAVRIK use area. Of course, you live in a free
country over there and education, not litigation, should have been the
approach.
--
Murray McGregor