From:
Kim Flottum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 19:44:38 +0000
Pete's words: "The editors pick and choose what goes in"

That's almost always the case, but not quite. All magazine and newspaper editors want the best for their readers. If they don't the readers quit subscribing, so there is some discretion in choices. But newspaper and magazine subscriptions and advertising are struggling, because of the choices editors are making and certainly competition from the digital world. If you want numbers, go to https://www.beeculture.com/the-inner-cover-10/, or read the Editorial in our August issue for the most recent declining numbers in this industry. Most editors have a vision of what they want their publications to represent, but the world, deadlines and other forces of nature often change that. If it bleeds it leads still has a  place in the headlines, but social media has softened that so there is less gore, and more fluff than there used to be, in some publications anyway. And of course there's supply. We try and fill the demand side of the content with good stuff, but sometimes there isn't enough good stuff to meet that  demand. We have our regulars, but we also have a lot of not-so-regulars. The beekeeping world is small, and huge numbers of knowledgeable and capable authors are not beating a path to our doors most months, but all voices are certainly welcome.  So, we have to find them, make them or do it ourselves. And, as I was told when I started this job by Jack Happ, The Problem is, those who know don’t have time to write, and those who have the time don’t know. There’s still some truth in that, and sometimes sorting which is which is difficult. But yes, the Editors do pick and choose....and I'll take anything Pete writes.

Kim Flottum, Editor