From:
Bob Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:52:05 -0500
Hello Tom and Friends,
You mentioned the use of polyethylene sheeting around the hives to control
the beetle.  It really sounds like a good idea, however, I have been
watching the beetle destroy my hives for 3 years now.  My hives are all
screened bottomed and sit on concrete blocks.  I have seen the larvae pupate
in the hive dust accumulated on top of the concrete blocks I used for hive
stands.  The larvae were free to crawl off the edge of the blocks and pupate
in the soil, however, they opted to just roll up in the hive debris and
pupated just fine, right under the hives.   They have hatched out in
significant numbers, in this medium.  I have not tried the plastic, because
I feel the larvae will just roll up in the dust and pupate anyway.  I have
opted to build new hive stands with 6" deep plastic sliding trays
underneath.  I have found the larvae will go through the 8 mesh screen and
accumulate in masse in the trays and they don't appear to be able to climb
the sides of the trays.  I put a little sawdust in the bottom of the trays
and then I can remove the trays weekly to eliminate the larvae.  These
little devils are a real challenge.  I have given up on Cumophos, because it
just plain scares me and the beetles always come back, so now I am going to
try different methods of larval and adult trapping.

Bob Bassett