From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:06:05 +0100
Hi Bill and All

> If there is other information out there that says these honeys have some
> other anti-bacterial ingredient, I am interested, but so far have not
> seen anything other than they have a high glucose oxidase content.

Some of the anti-bacterial honeys have what is termed 'non-peroxide
antibacterial activity', distinguished by adding the enzyme catalase
experimentally to remove the peroxides.  Glucose oxidase generates peroxide.
Although early work suggested that these compounds, of floral origin, would
be phenolics such as trimethoxybenzoic acid (1.), more recently it has been
suggested that other compounds are responsible (2.).

IBRA publish a reprint from Bee World that reviews the topic.
http://www.ibra.org.uk/shop/
then search for 'Molan'

all the best

Gavin.

PS

Ref 1:

Identification of some antibacterial constituents of New Zealand manuka
honey.
Russell-KM; Molan-PC; Wilkins-AL; Holland-PT
Journal-of-Agricultural-and-Food-Chemistry; 38 (1) 10-13, 21 ref.

Some components responsible for the exceptionally high antibacterial
activity of manuka honey were isolated by testing fractions of the honey for
activity against Staphylococcus aureus. An ethanol-ether extract of the
honey was separated by preparative-layer chromatography and the fractions
thus obtained were assessed for antibacterial activity. One fairly
homogeneous fraction was identified as methyl
3,5-dimethoxy-4-hydroxybenzoate (methyl syringate). Combined GC-MS indicated
the presence of this compound in some of the other antibacterial fractions
together with methyl 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoate and 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoic
acid. Authentic specimens of 3,5-dimethoxy-4-hydroxybenzoic acid ( syringic
acid) and 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoic acid and their methyl esters were tested
against S. aureus. The acids and, to a lesser extent, methyl syringate were
found to possess significant antibacterial activity.

Ref 2:

Identification and quantitative levels of antibacterial components of some
New Zealand honeys.
Weston-RJ; Brocklebank-LK; Yinrong-Lu
Food-Chemistry; 70 (2000) 427-435, 32 ref.NU: 0308-8146DT: Journal-Article

In order to identify components in honey that are responsible for
non-peroxide antibacterial activity (NPABA) of certain honeys, HPLC profiles
of phenolic fractions from 19 samples of New Zealand manuka honey with
varying levels of NPABA were determined. HPLC profiles of manuka honey were
compared with those obtained for heather, clover and beech honeydew honeys.
HPLC profiles of phenols from manuka honey demonstrated that phenols are not
responsible for NPABA, as honeys with high levels of NPABA had identical
profiles to those with low NPABA. Other agents were investigated that may
have been responsible for NPABA; antibacterial insect peptides, including
lysozyme and royalisin, and leptospermone, a beta-triketone, however they
were not detected in manuka honey with NPABA. Levels of phenols in manuka
honey were comparable to data published for European honeys. Methyl
syringate comprised approx. 70% (w/w) of phenols in the phenol fraction and
may be suitable for use as a floral marker for manuka honey. HPLC profiles
of manuka, clover, beech honeydew and heather honeys were distinguishable.
It is suggested that use of HPLC profiles has potential for differentiating
between honey types.