Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 07:20:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
a Mr Borst snip followed by > my comments. 
My credentials are irrelevant to this discussion. But actually: not having anything invested in this issue makes me a bit more objective and willing to criticize, than if I were selling something. I already said I am just discussing, not trying to belittle anyone else's work or ideas.

>I don't want for you to get things wrong here Peter but what you do here in reviewing prior literature imho is extremely important.  Personally I wish I had the time and a fast computer connection to do the same.  The value of your efforts here is not underrated at least by myself.  And imho credentials are irrelevant to this task.

>However once you get beyond this straight reporting of what people said or did then any analysis may require quite a bit of understanding and yes perhaps even credentials.  The world is increasing complex and the sheer volume of knowledge is growing at such a fast pace that anyone that might think they can understand it all certainly has some ego problem.  We are increasing a society of experts with subdivisions of expertise since the sheer bulk of knowledge seems to so overwhelming.

>My concern in your last post (to which I made a remark) was about the loose use of language which could (and did) have the tendency to confuse.  In addition some times I have problem in your comments distinguishing between what you say and what you are reporting someone else said. Certainly the fact that some of these remarks appear to be in stark disagreement with one another does produce a level of confusion for myself.

>From what I have noted in regards to people everyone is biased since all of our experience in life and what we learn from other is different.  Can't recall the author but someone long ago said quite clearly...'the only way to be unbiased about some issue is to know absolutely nothing about it'.  So hopefully some bias is a part of the mix of All COMMENTS to bee-L.

>and back to topic...  the more complexity in the world we encounter the more likely it is that results will at least appear contradictory.  certainly a lot of research is done just to get someone publication count up < if you think the world of academia is an ivory tower and there is no gaming the system or politics involved then you are simply deceiving yourself.  consequently quite often the reputation of the person doing the research may shed more light on the true value of the research than anything else.  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2