From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 15:35:28 -0500
On  8 Dec 97 at 15:02, Andy Nachbar wrote:

> Second, any treatments for the trachea or any of the acarine mites
> has little or no economic value as this pest comes and goes in most
> commercial apiaries without economic harm in the majority of
> apiaries studied.

While I usually defer to Andy's knowledge I cannot agree with this
statement. With a 'true' diagnosis of T-mites, rather than a
suspected infestation, to leave untreated means the certain death of
the colony. I have never heard of T-mites curing themselves!!!
        I would venture to say, it has to be economic to treat a hive. A few
cents for medication as against the complete replacement of bees.
Suicide economics are not for me!!!
        Of course, a far better solution, to re-queen with proven T-mite
resistant stock, and no medication.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171