From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 16:16:06 -0500
Allen Dick wrote

> > Best time to treat with menthol is spring though not fall but this
> > treatment will work earlier in the spring at cooler temperatures.
> > Note timing is determined by tracheal mite life cycle ...
>
> Does anyone know, offhand how effective menthol is compared to formic -- and
> vice versa?

 Is there much difference in the recommended timing of treatments?

> allen
Hi Allen,
Good question about formic compared to menthol. Both will eliminate
tracheal mites but only menthol is legal in U.S.. I have never used
formic acid so can't comment. A question asked between my friends and i
is will the formic acid gell be as effective against TM. We don't
believe the gel will be as effective as the canola oil /menthol towels
for TM. Reason being that in areas(like Missouri) where menthol in the
packets didn't work because of the temperature variations at treatment
time the formic acid gell won't work because it has temperature problems
also. Many hives have been lost to tm with the menthol packets. i don't
know of one beekeeper which still uses bulk menthol in the packets.

 Many times crisco Patties put in to late are still intact in the
spring. No treatment for tm and if terramicin was added no protection
against foulbrood from terramicin.
I don't know about timming of treatments. I only followed Dons article
to the letter. I use two treatments at exactly ten days apart. I KNOW
from my testing my tm problems are gone.

 I really don't know why the usda recomends spring only. All the
beekeepers i know think fall is the most important treatment.  Maybe
they are afraid like in my case i have totally eliminated them from my
yards by two treatments . Who needs the "so called "resistant bees at
$500 a piece. Sorry researchers! Think of all the time Brother Adam
could have spent fishing or reading a book about bees instead of laying
awake at night worrying about the dreaded TM. he he!

After 7 treatments and no TM i think its safe to say the treatment
worked for me. I think i figure the cost a less then .50 per colony.

I will say from my own research if formic acid liquid was approved in
U.S. thats all i would use. Kills both mites and even varroa in sealed
cells. I can vote,serve in the military and get married but not handle
the dreaded formic acid liquid like the rest of the world. I bet if the
formic acid liquid were legal more people would die from bee stings in
U.S. than beekeepers misusing formic acid liquid!
Enjoy your diary!
Bob