From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:09:57 -0400
Hi Guys,

It's time for my yearly AHB rant.

There's been much discussion about the rights of bees. Beekeepers tend to
defend the better characteristics of their bees much like some parents do
with their children. Yet, that can be just a part of the story.

I've actually spoken to a few beekeepers who deny the existence of the AHB,
a very irresponsible position based on ignorance I hope!

Yet, our appearence when working the honeybee betrays that sentiment. When
we are suited up in veils, suits, sometimes glovs, and surrounded by our
protective smoke the public gets another impression entirely :>) Sure,
sometimes we work our bee without any smoke or protection. But it's a
foolish beekeeper who doesn't have some kind of protection nearby.

And for good reason. Bees are not domesticated pets. They can surprise us
and react badly to our meddling at times. Only our armor and our knowledge
prevents us from becoming a victim.

I have worked with an africanized hive. Most of the time a beekeeper can
work them the same as other bees. And they are easily controlled with a
little smoke. But they are extremely defensive of their hive. The slightest
hive disturbance without smoke sends them into a frenzy which has to been
seen to be believed. And they stay worked up for the rest of the day.

I had forgotten my smoker but decided to inspect a yard with a half dozen
regular hives and one africanized hive. I worked the 'normal' bees without
any problem. When I removed the cover on the AHB hive, I was covered with
bees. In less than 10 seconds my socks were completely cover so that no
cloth was visible. Any movement attracted hundreds and my breath enraged
hundreds more. In less than a minute thousands of stinging bees were after
me. I gently set the lid back on the hive and retreated to my truck.

The bees continued to attack the truck. They would attempt to sting anything
black like the door and window moldings. The slightest sting odor from my
clothing would attract hundreds more to the small amount of ventilation that
was escaping from the cab.

And they would attack any birds flying overhead, killing the smaller ones
who couldn't get away fast enough.

I have worked bees commercially since 1968. I've worked thousands of hives
in all kinds of weather and under the most unfavorable conditions. I have
seen very angry hives and very angry yards. I've been stung too many times
to count in a single instance.

Yet, I've never experienced anything like this. A healthy non-beekeeper in
such a situation is risking their life unless they can run fast and far. A
child, or an elderly person who couldn't run away under such stinging could
easily be killed, if not from being doused with gas or drowning in the lake,
surely from the stinging itself.

That yard was near a road and a farm house was a half mile away. I decided
to stay in the truck and at the yard for the rest of the afternoon. The risk
 was just too great that someone would come along and get attacked. What if
a child riding a bike had come by that yard?

The bees frenzy abated somewhat after about 2 hours. But they were still
going after the birds 4 hours later. Any movement within 1/4 mile brought an
instant response with dozens of stinging bees 6 hours later. Thankfully the
sun set!

Bet you can't guess what happened to that hive.

I would like to suggest that beekeepers take the high ground. Let's be seen
as defenders of the public good. When the public is threatened by errant
bees, it will be the beekeepers to the rescue. After all, we are the guys in
the white suits:>) And we should know what to do, whether to save or destroy
depending on the situation. The public should look to us, with our knowledge
and experience of bees, to assess the risk.

Regards
Dennis