From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:13:00 EST
John A Skinner wrote:

> Suggestions to thread of where to put apistan
>
> Two deeps: I would put one strip per frame of bees as the label
> reads....

I'm sure John made a typo here.  The labels reads: "one strip per 5
frames of bees in the brood chamber."

On Monday, March 16 Dr. Nicholas Calderone (Cornell University) spoke
to the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association regarding mites and
the proper use of Apistan.  A question from the audience questioned the
vendor instructions of 1 strip per 5 frames of brood.  I did not comment
at the time as I did not have a label in front of me, however after
reading the label I responded as follows:

 "...  However, it wasn't my recollection that the label refered
  to "frames of brood" but rather, frames of bees in the brood chambers.

  Checking the label on the box of 100 strips dated 1995, purchased
  in fall 1997, it reads: "Use one strip for 5 combs of bees or
  less in each brood chamber (Langstroth deep frames or equivalent in
  other sizes)."  Now I'm not sure if a 1995 batch comes with the most
  current label, but I think the problem with the label it that it tries
  to give general instructions for all hives under all conditions.

  "5 combs of bees OR LESS..." includes frames with NO bees!  Given that
  fluvalinate is a contact poison, the dosage is a surface area
  application rather than a volume dosage.  5 strips per 5 frames of
  bees (not brood) ensures that there is sufficient strip surface area
  in the volume of bees' space such that each bee will eventually come
  into direct contact with the miticide.

  I was going to offer the observation that the label doesn't stress the
  "contact" aspect of the strips, but looking at the label I see
  (highlighted no less), "Apistan strips must be in contact with brood
  nest at all times."  This is where the label is open to
  interpretation.  One must ask, "Where will the bees congregate within
  the boxes at the time when the strips will be installed?"  In a 2-deep
  hive in these parts at the time when I treat in the fall (late Sep
  through Thanksgiving if early, mid Oct to mid Dec if I want cured
  aster honey) the cluster will most likely be in the center area of
  the two deep boxes.  At that time I use 3 strips: two in the top box
  between frames 3-4 and 6-7, and 1 strip in the middle of the bottom
  box.  In the spring treatment time (March/April) the bees are going to
  be mostly in the top box and I use 2 strips between frames 2-3 and
  7-8.  Frame spacing in my hives are 9 per box with follower boards on
  both sides.

  So, does this follow label instructions?  Obviously not.  Strict
  interpretation says two per box between 3-4 and 7-8.  But I'm
  comfortable that my placement strategy puts the strips where they
  need to be to treat the conditions within my hives at the time when
  I'm treating.  I suspect that in the fall the tops of the top strips
  and the bottom of the bottom strip are not contacted by the bees as
  much as I'd like, something that longer strips might address.  I also
  wonder if no strips in the bottom hive in the spring is wise, but
  again, I've reached a comfort level with my placement strategy and so
  far what has been comfortable for me has worked for my bees.

  I guess the REAL problem is a pervasive lack of understanding for how
  the strips work and appreciation for what the bees are doing at the
  time of year when the strips are being used.  Obviously no label will
  impact that.  Regardless of what is written, beekeepers are going to
  do as they damn well please!  Perhaps the best we can do is strive to
  improve the understanding and appreciation...."

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!