From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:12:40 -0700
Juanse,
Formic acid used in making miteaway II is 65%. However to report on the label it is. (W:W). Please check miteaway II label for more info. It was clear from our workshop that formic acid and essential oils have their own physical properties. To work and provide expected efficacy, you need to meet certain conditions such as temperature, cluster size, hive size, etc. Therefore, we will have a range of efficacy. This will make the debate alive.
 Simply properties of these alternative soft chemicals are inherited traits in the whole class of soft chemicals. The best thing we can come up with is to accept these products with realistic expectations.  We need to work around our bees and treat when conditions are met to get best results. The sad truth is that when we need to use them we get cold weather at least here in Canadian Prairie . Then, treatment does not work and bees and beekeepers suffer. The debate meanwhile becomes hot. Is it the label, the treatment,  the weather or the beekeeper?  Medhat