From:
Ron Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:42:24 -0400
Just to let you know that an insect similiar to to small hive hive beetle
has been seen in lowcountry hives since the fall of last year.
McClellanville, Summervile, and Hampton County.  The ones located in
Hollywood  SC has been confirmed by Fred Singleton because they were sent
to a lab.  Original estimate was that they were just another hive. Three
morre confirmation were disclosed today.  Appears to be big problems now.
   From our literature there is not controls for them.  the beetles inter
the hive, lays eggs in the honey comb section, uncaps the honey, the
ferments because it is expose to air, the larve develops to i/2" long and
moves from the hive into the ground near the hive.  They hatch and the
new beetles attack the hives.  This is what we learned at the South
Carolina  beekeepers meeting at Clemson.  We need to keep track of which
areas become infested so the problem can be assessed. Thanks Ron Taylor,
President South Carolina Beekeepers, Cottageville, SC

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:33:10 -0400 Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Hey all.  There was a article in our local paper this morning stating
>that
>three hives in Charleston County, SC had been found infested with the
>(as
>andy would say) Afro-Beetle!
>
>  Lets see now.  Discovered in Florida in April.  found in SC in July.
>They should have infected the entire US by this time next year!
>
>  David Green -  Do you have any more information about this.  I know
>your
>located closer to there than I.
>
>We have controls for Varoa and Traecheal mites, but nothing for the
>Afro
>Beetles and Bees.  What is the economic impact to beekeeping going to
>be
>when the Beetles and African bees get a foothold into the comercial
>bee
>areas of the Southeast (Al, GA, FL).
>
>Rod Billett
>Lexington, SC

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]